What are Growstones?
Growstones are both a growing medium and a soil aerator made from 100% recycled glass. They can be used in the propagation process, in hydroponics and aquaponics systems, and as an alternative to perlite in soil.
Are Growstones safe to use in my aquaponics system?
Yes! Growstones are safe to use in aquaponic systems. We verified this fact with Growstones. Be sure to give the stones a thorough rinse down beforehand in order to remove fine dust particles.
Why do we recommend them?
- Sustainable: Growstones can be reused over and over again until they loose their physical integrity. Sterilization of used media between crops is recommended. This can be accomplished by flushing the used Growstones with a diluted bleach solution or with hydrogen peroxide.
- Made in the USA: Growstones are made in New Mexico and are never shipped long distances.
- Eco-friendly: Growstones are made from 100% recycled glass. Other comparable growing mediums and soil aerators, such as perlite and hydroton, are stripped minded from finite resources that will eventually become depleted. Growstones are also 100% non-toxic and chemical free.
- Superior Water Retention and High Air-Filled Porosity: Because of their porous surface, Growstones are able to retain water and aerate roots better than similar growing products. Ideal substrates have small and large pore spaces. When the substrate is irrigated, water is held in the small pores but quickly drains through the large pores, allowing fresh air to flow through the soil. Thus, Growstones allow for more oxygen flow to your roots, which enables the plants to break down sugars for energy when there is no sunlight available. Roots that have optimal access to oxygen are able to continue growing even during dark cycles.
- Silica: Growstones release Silica in a form plants can uptake. Silica is important to plant growth because it helps to strengthen the cells walls, which in turn protects plants from pests, drought, heat and cold and will allow the plant’s structure to bear more fruit. Growstones are made from 98% vitreous soda lime glass, which contains high levels of plant-soluble silica. This silica is released from Growstones and made available to your plants throughout your entire grow cycle.
You can purchase Growstones at all 5 SD Hydro locations, or at our online store!